Saturday, January 16, 2016

Closing Notes

My solo exhibition Parallax, closes today at Sherry Leedy Contemporary Art, Kansas City, MO.

In considering ways of interpreting the world through art and culture that shape our constant re-visioning of experience- I sought to experiment with concepts of site, and place. Parallax offered an amalgamation of layered time, thru the images and the valence of historic forms, their dissolution and reference to place, as well as, the use of optics.

Living and making work in the New York City has it's root to some early beginnings in Kansas City. It was late in 1996 that I moved to KC, after a residency at The Bemis Center for Contemporary Art, Omaha, NE. I moved into a second floor loft in the historic Opie Brush Building, the current location of Sherry Leedy Contemporary Art.

November 1, 2015, the week I drove to KC and started to install the show with Sherry, the KC Royals had a victory parade that moved through The Crossroads District, where the gallery is located. I felt honored to be swept up in the exuberance of joy of the Royal's fans. That night, and the others that followed prior to the pre-opening, I worked on a specific piece of art, titled "Yellow and Blue with Interior". It is the largest piece in the show; it is a  conceptually conceived artwork. It began with a part of my work that appropriates my own paintings, and shifts the imagery, with software applicable to photoshop, called the "Wave" series.

I needed a large scaled image of a historic room, a notable 18th century room. I have completed a series of large sumi ink drawings, in situ, in various exhibitions, the first one in NYC at Pablo's Birthday Gallery. Sherry and I had discussed how I might do this in the gallery. We discussed between August to October, and decided the ink drawing wouldn't work on her walls. I still wanted to have a scaled presence of a historic room there in the exhibition. I had experimented w layering oil drawings on my lenticular optical lenses (prints), to match the illusion of the layered drawings below the lens surface. Never to this scale, however.

Once the large 6 paneled - lenticular wave prints (yellow and blue) where mounted, I began to draw, in oil the line drawing of the scaled room. That was on the eve of the Royals victory parade. (more to come)


"Yellow and Blue with Interior (Frick)", 96" x 80", oil on Lenticular Print, 2015


















1 comment:


  1. Nice blog.
    I read your blog , you share nice information about painting services.
    interior painting company omaha

    ReplyDelete